SSAS cube processing can kill running queries. That’s right, it may kill queries in order to commit changes to the cube.
Here is what happens during SSAS cube processing.
- The cube finishes calculating the next version of the cube
- Before the data can be made available, SSAS prevents new queries from running
- Any currently running queries are allowed to finished normally for 30 seconds
- After 30 seconds, SSAS kills any running queries
- SSAS commits the new version and allows new queries to hit the updated data
The 30 second time out is a configuration setting that you can read about here.
So, that’s right, SSAS may kill long running queries.